Driver led police on 50mph chase through Kirkby streets

Mansfield Magistrates Court.
Mansfield Magistrates Court.

A young man who led police on a 20 minute chase through Kirkby during rush hour has been told he must be sentenced at crown court.

Danny Jake Marshall, 23, of Richmod Road, Kirkby, was driving so erratically that at one point a young boy had to jump out of the way of the BMW as he tried to cross the road.

Marshall appeared at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court where he admitted charges of driving dangerously, driving without a licence and driving without insurance.

A fourth charge of failing to stop for a police officer was dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

Outlining the case for the CPS, Mark Kennedy told the magistrates that police officers had spotted Marshall in the W-reg BMW on Lowmoor Road at around 5.40pm on August 23.

They witnessed him speed up and then break heavily, so decided to pull him over, putting the sirens and lights on.

Marshall appeared to slow down at first and the officers thought he was trying to find a suitable place to stop.

However, he then sped off and reached speeds of up to 50mph in the 30mph built-up area around Southwell Road.

By this time the police had switched on camera recording equipment and captured footage of Marshall racing down a number of streets, including Hartley Road, Chapel Street and Church Street, as they followed.

The footage was not played to the court, but Mr Kennedy said he was taking junctions without slowing and stopping and a young boy was forced to jump back after trying to cross the road to avoid the speeding BMW.

It was not until an unmarked police Range Rover pulled in front of him that he was forced to stop.

Marshall, who was physically shaking in court as the details were read out, could not given an explanation to 
police why he was driving so fast.

The magistrates decided that the aggravating factors in the case - such as ignoring junctions, and speeding in a built up area during a busy time of day - meant that their powers were not sufficient to sentence him.

Marshall was told he must go to Nottingham Crown Court on October 21 when he will learn his fate.