CS spray used to stop man who was hearing voices

Mansfield Magistrates Court.
Mansfield Magistrates Court.

Police took down a man with CS gas when he threatened them with a spanner because voices told him to hurt people, a court heard.

Jamie Thomas Beeston, 23, of Westbourne Road, Sutton, was suffering from a ‘psychotic episode’ when officers were called to his flat on the evening of October 25.

When they turned up, he threatened to ‘have them’ as he held the large silver spanner in an aggressive manner at the top of the stairs, Mansfield Magistrates’ Court was told.

They kept telling him to drop the weapon as they drew their batons and slowly made their way up the stairs to Beeston, who was stood there in only his boxer shorts.

After a struggle they were able to spray the gas near to his face and he eventually dropped the spanner and they were able to take him to the ground and handcuff him.

Outlining the case for the Crown Prosecution Service, Wayne Wallis said during interview that Beeston remembered drinking two litres of cider and taking double his anti-psychotic medication.

He could not remember what he said but regretted his actions.

Defending, Sarah Sanderson, said her client suffers from mental health issues.

“What is clear is that he suffers from a form of psychosis and he was hearing voices to harm himself or others,” she added.

“He took his medication but did not feel the effects so took more.”

She said that Beeston’s brother, who sat at the back of the court during the hearing, had called the police for his own safety.

She also added that he had struggled with drugs and alcohol in the past, and admitted that he was smoking too much cannabis.

He had been able to overcome his cocaine habit.

Mrs Sanderson added: “He fully acknowledges that this is not an excuse.”

Clearly distressed in court, he had initially faced a charge of using or threatening unlawful violence towards another person.

However, the charge was altered to using threatening behaviour or insulting words or behaviour.

He admitted the charge and was given credit for his early guilty plea.

The magistrates asked probation to prepare a report before sentencing him.

They eventually brought him back in to court where he was given a six-month conditional discharge, made to pay £150 criminal courts charge and a £15 surcharge.

He admitted breaching a conditional discharge he received last October, but no further action was taken.