Banned drink driver in Sutton told to tackle his boozing

A banned drink driver with two previous convictions who was caught over the limit in Sutton has been ordered to tackle his boozing, a court has heard.

Friday, 28th January 2022, 11:47 am

Dorin Nastasa was spotted driving a white Fiat Ducato van without a seat belt on Downing Street, at 9pm on June 26, last year.

Officers smelled alcohol on his breath and found an empty can of alcohol in the driver's door, said prosecutor Katherine Wilson. But Nastasa denied he'd been drinking.

"Checks showed there was no insurance," she said. "He was compliant at the police station and a breath test showed he had 101 mcgs of alcohol when the limit is 35 mcgs."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Read the latest stories at Mansfield Magistrates Court.

The court heard he has two previous convictions for drink driving and pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.

Nastasa, speaking via a Romanian interpreter, said he was sorry, adding that, at the time, his father had been involved in an accident.

The 36-year-old, of Main Street, Long Eaton, admitted driving with excess alcohol, without a seatbelt, insurance and while disqualified, in July, 2021.

On Thursday he received a 12 week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, with an alcohol treatment programme and ten rehabilitation activity days.

The presiding magistrate told him: "If you commit another offence in the next 12 months it's almost certain you will be imprisoned. If you fail to comply you will be brought back to this court and the sentence, more than likely, will be activated.”

He was banned for 48 months and must take an extended retest before he drives again.

He was ordered to pay a £128 surcharge and £85 costs.

Read More

Read More
‘Devoted’ Mansfield dad warned about ‘idiotic behaviour’ by judge

Editor’s message: Support your Chad by becoming a digital subscriber. You will see 70 per cent fewer ads on stories, meaning faster load times and an overall enhanced user experience. Click here to subscribe.