Ashfield flasher will not be sentenced until June because of court backlog
A Kirkby man who exposed himself to a pair of teenage girls will not be sentenced until June because of a backlog of work in the courts.
John Mongan, 26, of David Street, Kirkby, admitted exposure when he appeared at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court earlier this year.
He was due to return to court for sentencing on April 9, but couldn’t attend because he was self-isolating after developing coronavirus symptoms.
At the last hearing, the court heard he and another man began speaking to the two 17-year-old girls in Telford town centre, on August 11, last year.
They offered the girls cocaine and promised them a trip to another pub – but both girls declined, prosecutor Sanjay Jerath told the court on April 1.
As he took a white envelope containing cash from the glove box, Mongan pulled up his shorts and exposed his penis.
When the girls walked off, Mongan and his passenger shouted ‘slappers’ and ‘lesbians’ after them.
Sentencing was adjourned for the Crown Prosecution Service to make an application for a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO).
An SHPO is an order imposed by a court on an individual who it is considered to pose a risk of sexual harm to either the general public or a certain group of people or individuals.
The application will now be heard on June 18.
Prosecutor Marie Stace said: "It does seem a long way away. I also appreciate that the court has an awful lot of work to do."
Mongan was given bail until the new date on condition he lives and sleeps at his address and signs on at a police station twice a week.