The lady contacted the Trading Standards team after falling ill after using the products - a slimming gel and slimming tablets, both bought online. She sought medical attention and is now well.
Trading Standards teams nationally have been investigating the types of products that she bought to ensure they are safe to be sold.
Councillor Glynn Gilfoyle, Community Safety Committee Chairman, at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “This case highlights the dangers of purchasing slimming products from anywhere other than reputable medical sources, such as a pharmacy.
“We would advise not to purchase any slimming product over the internet without first seeking medical advice and to seek medical assistance should you have already purchased such products and are experiencing untoward side effects.”
Slimming products are often bought online and come in the form of pills, creams or powders. Some of these are illegal or unregulated and it is these that may pose a risk.
Nationally, it has been reported that some slimming products can be extremely dangerous to human health, particularly those that contain a highly toxic ‘fat burning’ substance known as DNP which is an industrial chemical that is not fit for human consumption.
The signs of acute poisoning can include nausea, vomiting, restlessness, flushed skin, sweating, dizziness, headaches, rapid respiration and irregular heartbeat. In the worst case scenario these products could lead to coma or even death.
If you have purchased any slimming products recently and suffered ill health contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506 to report the matter.