Shirebrook Town 8 – 1 Yorkshire Amateur AFC - NCEL

Have your say

Shirebrook Town were ruthless in their demolition of visitors Yorkshire Amateur AFC on Saturday.

Man-of-the-Match Julian Topliss lead the way with a well taken hat-trick. e was closely followed with a brace from Mitchell Slawson and goals from Danny Naylor, Richard Guest and a Joe Meehan penalty.

Right from the first minute the home side attacked, Topliss and Meehan both testing Joshua Proctor in the away goal.

The home side went in front on 10 minutes, Topliss crossing from the right and finding Danny Naylor who drilled the ball past Proctor in the Amateurs goal.

Shirebrook doubled their lead on 29 minutes and the floodgates opened. A Meehan header was controlled in the box by Topliss who turned and buried the ball in the bottom corner.

Four minutes later it was 3-0, Slawson picked his spot from 10 yards after a square ball from Danny Naylor.

Slawson bagged his second on 39 minutes, beating Hainsworth to a throughball to calmly lift the ball over the advancing Proctor from just outside the box.

Joe Meehan made it five from the spot after Brendan Sweeney had been up-ended in the box.

Meehan finished at the second attempt after Proctor had done well to parry the initial penalty on 42 minutes.

Going into the break 5-0 up manager Micky Taylor saw this as an opportunity to give a couple of players a decent run out and Liam Pride and Richard Guest replaced Danny Naylor and Joe Meehan.

This slightly disjointed Shirebrook for a while and Yorkshire Amatuer enjoyed their best period of the game.

They began to knock the ball about but lacked a cutting edge up front. Normal service was resumed on 67 minutes when the visitors failed to clear a Sweeney free-kick.

The ball eventually fell to Richard Guest who drove the ball into the bottom left corner from the edge of the box.

Shirebrook made it seven on 80 minutes, Topliss getting his second from a McGurk through ball. The striker rounding the keeper before finding the net from an acute angle.

Some desperate defending from the visitors then kept Shirebrook at bay. Steve McGurk and Guest going close and the ball cleared off the line twice before the next goal came on 83 minutes.

Surprisingly it was at the other end. A move of quality saw Noteman advance down the right. His delivery into the box was inch perfect and Glen O’Gara smashed a volley past Jason White.

Topliss, however, had the final say on 88 minutes. A drive from the edge of the box had the keeper beat but not the left hand post. Unfortunately in their attempt to clear the visitors gave the ball back to Topliss who this time made no mistake for number eight and his hat-trick.

This win was the highest home win of the season in the league and a sign of the continued improvement by Shirebrook Town. This improvement will be put to the test next Saturday when league leaders Pontefract Collieries visit Langwith Road.