Rainworth MW see off Buxton in extra-time in Doodson Sport tie

RAINWORTH MW needed extra-time beat Buxton 2-0 in last night’s Doodson Sport Cup third round tie.

With both sides understrength due to injuries and, most probably in Buxton’s, a case of the league play-offs taking priority which is understandable; the match was more competitive than it probably would have been.

Rainworth had the better of the early exchanges and as early as the second minute Kieran Walker’s long throw was played into the path of Ryan Goward by Jared Holmes, only for the shot to hit the bar.

After another exchange of passes in the fourth minute Ryan Goward had his goal bound shot blocked. Buxton eventually created a chance but Kieran Lugsden’s snatched shot was well wide.

Ryan Goward continued his efforts to score for Rainworth when in the 14th minute he curled his shot just round the post.

Then in the 18th minute Ricky Hanson’s goal bound shot was well saved by John Stanway at the expense of a corner.

The half was being dominated for the most part by Rainworth and in the 19th minute Ricky Hanson set up Kieran Walker, whose shot was cleared off the line by John Ollerenshaw.

The game continued to be played in Buxton’s half in the 22nd minute a Kieran Walker long throw was cleared only for Callum Lloyd to feed the ball back to him; but the subsequent shot just went wide of the post.

In the 25th minute Buxton did threaten the Rainworth goal when, from a free kick, Michael Towey’s header was well saved by Alessandro Barcherini; the assistant’s flag for offside would have denied any goal anyway.

The half ended with Rainworth continuing to have the better of the play without providing the finish needed.

The second half saw Buxton introduce a couple of first teamers in an attempt to seize back the initiative and with it the match.

It looked like the tactic would have the desired effect as they began to exert pressure on the Rainworth goal.

However, they too were finding that goal scoring final touch just as elusive.

It wasn’t until the last 10 minutes that both sides could and probably should have finally scored.

In the 83rd minute Rainworth thought they had when a goalbound Ashley Kitchen header was cleared off the line once again by John Ollerenshaw.

Then in the 90th minute with Buxton exerting intense pressure Kieran Lugsden could and probably should have scored. Having done the hard work and with only the goalkeeper to beat, he managed to hit the ball over the crossbar.

This wasn’t the end as, in one of the final moves of normal time, Jared Holmes set up Callum Lloyd and only a brave save by John Stanway prevented him scoring and the game went into extra-time.

This saw Rainworth play their best football of the match and they started to once again control the game.

The goal finally came in the 99th minute when Ashley Kitchen fed Kieran Walker and his fine cross was headed firmly into the net by Lee Cooksey.

Rainworth continued to press for the second goal. And, it didn’t take long as first Callum Lloyd’s shot just cleared the bar; then in the 104th minute Lee Cooksey fed Ryan Goward and his 25-yard shot found the corner of the net.

At 2-0 there was no way back for Buxton and Rainworth ran out deserved winners and now await the fourth round draw.

RAINWORTH: Barcherini; Walker; Burton (Jenkins 79); Camm; Kitchen; Cooksey; Lloyd; Hanson; Akers (Claxton 113); J. Holmes; Goward. Sub not used: Lowe.

BUXTON: Stanway; Ollerenshaw; Johnson; Haywood; Haggerty (Roberts 66); Keane; Lugsden; Towey; Morris; Bradbury; Ballington (Stevens 65; Duncum 79). Subs not used: Maxfield; Deakin.

REFEREE: Tom Nield.