Lack of goals cost Rainworth against Loughborough Dynamo

Have your say

IF points were awarded for the number of times struggling clubs are told by opponents that they are in a false position at the wrong end of the table, Rainworth would probably be pushing for the play-offs now.

But once again the Wrens’ Achilles’ heel let them down resulting in a trip back up the M1 with nothing to show.

Just one goal parted the sides in a match where Dynamo had the better of the first half and Rainworth the second, but the Wrens’ lack of a goalscorer was yet again their undoing.

In the event the match was settled by a rather messy 40th-minute strike by the home side’s Jake Betts.

The longer the winless run goes though—and it is now seven in the league—the more nervous Rainworth are likely to become, especially when the tough relegation scraps crop up.

Despite having the wind at their backs in the first half Rainworth came under some sound pressure, during which Lee Cooksey was prominent in keeping the home forwards at bay.

And it was not until the 12th minute that Rainworth found any response, when Ben Spargo and Stephen Akers combined well on the right, but Spargo was well closed down in the box before he could pull the trigger.

By and large, though, there was not much action at either end where it mattered for a 15-minute spell, although Curtis Shaw showed that he can be a good acquisition once match fitness is achieved, and fellow newcomer Ryan Goward put in another fine performance after his scoring debut five days earlier.

Loughborough finally broke the deadlock in the 40th minute with what proved to be the winner. Steve Kennedy was harried into fouling Richards on the left, Carl Sibson knocked Adam Wykes’ deep free kick back into the danger zone and, with the defence unable to clear, Betts bundled it over the line.

Rob Gill finally made his long-awaited debut for the second half, replacing Rob Paling as the Wrens went 4-2-4, but although he added a touch of steel to the front line an equaliser remained elusive, while Loughborough always looked dangerous on the counter.

As Rainworth turned up the heat another Goward cross just eluded the head of Spargo, and then Mann-Kier had to punch away Bacon’s lob over the covering home defence.

Gill then appeared to be taken somewhat by surprise when the ball fell invitingly for him in the box, and he ran it wide.

Dom Brennan was well policed by Camm as he tried another break for the home side before Rainworth’s best chance in the 87th minute, when Gill’s downward header from a corner was cleared off the line by Dan Henton to complete a miserable day for Rainworth.

LOUGHBOROUGH: Mann-Kier, Jenno, Young, Nobel, Sibson, Betts, Richards (Brennan 79 mins), Henton, Clarke (Langham 80 mins), Edwards, Wykes. Subs not used: Lester, Dale-Brown, Gibbons.

RAINWORTH: Barcherini, Fearon, Goward, Cam, Kennedy, Cooksey, Paling (Gill 45 mins), Bacon, Spargo, Akers (Glass 52 mins), Shaw (Toyne 83 mins). Subs not used: O’Rafferty, Graham.

REFEREE: Matthew Wilkes of Stourbridge.