Clipstone maintain nine point cushion at top of Black Dragon North Division

Clipstone v Westella and Willerby.
Clipstone v Westella and Willerby.
Have your say

CLIPSTONE Welfare defeated fellow title contenders Westella & Willerby 3-0 to maintaint their commanding nine point lead at the top of the Black Dragon North Division.

The home side went into the break a goal to the good after James McCann had opened the scoring.

Clipstone held firm against a Westella period of pressure at the start of the second half before two goals in as many minutes confirmed the destination of all three points.

Sam Bailey doubled the lead on 63 minutes, before Ashley Cheetham made it three a minute later.

It was a vital win for Clipstone, who would have been just six points ahead of Westella & Willerby having played four games more.

Chasing Dronfield Town easily saw off the challenge of FC 05 Bilsthorpe with a 3-0 win which leaves them nine points behind Clipstone with three games in hand.

Goals from Jon Doran, Ashley Sharman and Richard Mintoft sealing struggling Bilsthorpe’s fifth defeat in six outings.

Thoresby Colliery continued their superb season with a hard fought 1-0 win away at Yorkshire Main.

Once against their rock solid defence laid the platform, with a goal by Gary Panting giving the Edwinstowe club maximum points.

Despite being sixth Thoresby, who are 16 points behind Clipstone who they face next week at Fourth Avenue, are very much in the title race having seven games in hand on the league leaders.

Easington made the long trip home from Ollerton after being defeated by two Lee Wilson goals.

Wilson, who recently returned to the club for his third stint as a player, was making his first home appearance since his arrival and marked it with a brace that secured the win for an Ollerton side missing several players.

It was Wilson who had Ollerton’s first chances. Firstly he was played through but saw his effort blocked by the legs of the advancing Easington goalkeeper Liam Pattison. He was then put through again, but when he tried to poke the ball over Pattison he could only place the ball wide of the post.

Haydon Zaccaria came close to putting Ollerton into the lead with his pace causing the Easington defence many problems.

He attempted to round the ‘keeper but took the ball too wide and his was shot easily saved. His next shot, however, caused Pattison lots of trouble. After striking the underside of the bar, the ball then hit Pattison before bouncing up and somehow did not cross the line.

Despite Ollerton’s continued pressure, Easington had a continued threat on the counter-attack. Chris Frost saw shots saved by Louis Sprigg, as did Jamie Cousins before Gavin Thurkettle whipped a free-kick just over the bar.

The half-time break saw both teams level but Ollerton continued to pile on the pressure in the second half.

Carl Russo fired wide for Ollerton, Oliver Woodhead squandered a decent chance from a corner and then Ashley Fleet failed to hit the target after being set up by Kyle Clarkson.

When the Ollerton goal finally arrived, it came through Wilson whose performance deserved a goal.

Clarkson broke on the left wing and his cross found Wilson free in the area and his header was saved by the legs of Pattison, who could do nothing about the rebound as Wilson flicked the ball into the back of the net.

Ollerton’s second came thanks to a big hand of fortune as a string of Easington defensive errors saw the game secured.

A ball up field was met by Easington defender Andy Graham, but he could only head the ball straight into the path of Wilson who then looked to seek out Clarkson but saw his pass intercepted.

However, the Easington defender then passed the ball back to Pattison who picked the ball up leaving the referee with no choice but to award a free-kick to Ollerton just outside the six yard box. Zaccaria laid the ball off to Wilson who smashed the ball into the back of the net despite the line of Easington players on the line.

Welbeck Welfare’s miserable season continues after they were beaten 4-0 at home to Parkhouse to amazingly leave them still looking for their first point of the season.

Struggling Glapwell put up a good fight before falling 2-1 at home to fourth-placed Kinsley Boys.