AFC Emley 2 Teversal 0 - NCEL Division One

Have your say

For the second week running Teversal’s inability to turn the possession into goals cost them dear as they returned to Carnarvon Street without anything to show for their efforts.

The visitors started brightly and had the better of the possession, but solid defending by the home side kept the initial advances from the Tevie Boys at a distance with efforts from Atkins, Tobin and Collins failing to test Herriott in the home goal.

On 20 minutes, the early dominance was rewarded when Collins was fouled by Hazelden some 20 yards from goal. The range was perfect for Tevie Skipper Colin Cockerill who didn’t disappoint with a fierce drive that swerve dipped on its way into the top left hand corner of Herriott’s goal with the keeper getting nowhere near the thunderous effort.

Credit to Emley who started to have a share of the possession playing good quality football, but it tended to break down when it landed at the feet of Barrick who looked like he would have been more comfortable picking it up and running with it, especially with the number of hand offs he did throughout the 90 minutes.

Luckily for the hosts they had the impressive Ingham who knew how to play the game and was superb all afternoon in the middle of the park.

Therefore it was no surprise, when the Emley skipper Ingham intercepted Cockerill’s intended pass for Collins to then take the ball in his stride to fire a low drive beyond Wilson to make it 1-1 on 35 minutes.

Teversal should have restored their lead only three minutes later when Eli Mitchell sent an excellent ball down the flank to Collins, who in turn delivered an equally impressive cross to invite Atkins to fire the visitors back in front. But the midfielder was stretching and failed to get his effort on target.

Emley had one other opportunity before the break, but to the relief of the Teversal defence it fell to Barrick who fired it high and wide of the target from 18 yards and summed up the performance of the Emley striker.

On the hour mark the visitor’s honesty was to cost them a stonewall penalty when a neat passing move saw Collins released before a clumsy challenge followed from Hazelden.

But the striker tried to stay on his feet and from a tighter angle than he would have been had he not been fouled, he failed to hit the target.

Two minutes later a Cockerill corner found Tobin’s well timed run at the near post with the striker heading on to the far post, where Henshaw had a free header but put the effort marginally over the bar.

On 64 minutes another well worked move by the visitors down the left flank saw Goodacre and Dickinson combinie superbly before the latter pulled the ball back to Harcourt who fired a fierce drive that looked destined for the back of the net before an equally impressive block from Joice saw the effort coming to nothing.

Teversal had no arguments as they gifted an injury-time winner to Emley when challenging for a far post corner Tobin handled the ball giving the referee no option but to award a spot kick.

The Division’s leading scorer Heagney then confidently fired home to steal all three points.

This setback for Teversal, could turn out to be a defining point in their season as they look at having the highest finish in the national league system and a highest points total, which means they must finish above 12th with more than 42 points, a challenge they hope will not be derailed by this latest setback.

Teversal have a quick opportunity to put this disappointing result behind them, when they entertain the FA Vase heroes of Staveley Miners Welfare on Tuesday night in the Baris Northern Counties East League, League Cup 3rd Round which was cancelled last Tuesday, followed by another tough trip on 4th February when they travel to Worksop Parramore for a league game that will kick off at 3pm.