FA Women’s Cup: Notts County 1 Everton 2

Notts County badge
Notts County badge

A Nikita Parris brace helped Everton beat Notts County 2-1 and secure their place in next month’s women’s FA Cup final.

Parris struck twice in the first half to cancel out Katie Hoyle’s goal and earn the two-time winners a place in the final at Stadium MK on 1st June.

Everton hit the front on 14 minutes when Parris slipped away from her marker to head home a corner.

Rachel Corsie fired a 25-yard free-kick inches wide of the post on 25 minutes as County registered a rare attempt on goal.

Everton, who last lifted the trophy in 2010 after beating Arsenal, took control of the game on 29 minutes when Parris scored her second after goalkeeper Carly Telford badly fumbled Danielle Turner’s low cross.

Telford made amends 10 minutes later when she produced to a brilliant save to deny Parris a hat-trick after she went clean through after beating Katie Hoyle.

Rachel-Brown-Finnis produced a superb save to turn away Amy Turner’s long range effort deep into first-half stoppage time as county looked for a lifeline.

Parris had a powerful shot diverted for a corner by Katie Hoyle, before Dunia susi had to head over her own bar as Everton started the second half brightly.

Hoyle gave County a lifeline on 56 minutes when she prodded home from four yards after good build up play involving Sophie Walton and Katie Holtham.

Jess Clarke then hit the post and Dunia Susi skied over the bar as County pushed hard the equaliser.

But it was too little too late as Everton stood firm at the back to seal their place in the final.

Notts County (4-4-2): Telford; Walton, Bradley, Scott, Turner; Corsie, Hoyle, Holtham (Roberts 81), Susi: Friend (Whelan 73) Clarke. Subs not used: Draycott, Sweetman-Kirk, Haywood.

Everton (4-5-1): Brown-Finnis, V. Jones, Greenwood, George, Johnson, Chaplen, Hinnigan, D Turner, M. Turner (Whipp 86), K. Jones; Parris. Subs not used: Walsh, Magill, Murphy.

Att: 638.

Referee: Elizabeth Simms.