A YOUNG mum said she has been forced to move out of her Kirkby council flat because problems with damp were affecting her baby’s health.
Vanessa Gent (26) moved into the Ashfield Homes ground floor flat on Wollaton Road in October when she was pregnant with daughter Ocean-Lillie.
Signs of damp and mould were evident straight away and, though work on the hallway was carried out, the problem persisted in other rooms and Vanessa reported it to Ashfield Homes several times.
She planned to move into a private-rented house in Sutton this weekend, but was horrified to find that the damp had got so bad that her bed frame and mattress and Ocean-Lillie’s cot and bedding were covered in mould, and they moved out early.
“I just burst into tears - I was devastated,” Vanessa said.
Ocean-Lillie, who is six-months-old, has been suffering with a ‘really bad cough’ for weeks, and Vanessa fears that breathing in the mould in her cot has been the cause.
“It made me feel bad, like I had made her have this problem,” she added.
Kelly Scott, director of housing services at Ashfield Homes, said that while they sympathise with the damp and mould problems, ‘all reasonable steps’ were taken to assist Vanessa.
He said that they provided advice to improve the living conditions but ventilation is an issue at the property and keeping the curtains closed and using an unventilated tumble dryer led to poor air circulation and high humidity levels in the property.