VIDEO: Glapwell schoolgirl finds a ‘worm’ in her bottle of Oasis

A SCHOOLGIRL from Glapwell claims her ‘heart sank’ when she discovered what she thought was a WORM in the bottom of a bottle of her Oasis drink.

Bethany Fletcher (16) bought the ‘summer fruits’ soft drink as she made her way to Bolsover School but thought something wasn’t right as soon as she removed the lid.

Student Bethany Fletcher found a worm in a bottle of Oasis juice she purchased at school

Student Bethany Fletcher found a worm in a bottle of Oasis juice she purchased at school

“It had a really funny smell,” she said. “A bit like the smell when you walk into a hair salon.”

“I passed it round to my friends and one of them said ‘there’s something in that’. When I saw it my heart just sank.”

The Year 11 pupil bought the drink from JS Mann And Sons store, in Moorfield Avenue, Bolsover and contacted them for them to check there were no problems with any of the other drinks from the same batch.

Bethany, of Lime Tree Avenue, added: “We couldn’t work out what it was. It looks like a worm. One of my friends said it looks like piece of an umbilical chord another said it looks like a tape worm.”

Student Bethany Fletcher found a worm in a bottle of Oasis juice she purchased at school. View of the decaying worm inside the bottle.

Student Bethany Fletcher found a worm in a bottle of Oasis juice she purchased at school. View of the decaying worm inside the bottle.

When Chad contacted the shop, the owner confirmed Bethany had been in to report the problem and had showed them a picture, but they had no other complaints so assumed it was a ‘bizarre’ one-off incident.

Bethany said she had phoned up a number on the bottle to report the matter and was given an apology and promised some vouchers but hasn’t heard anything since.

A spokesman from Coca-Cola, who produce Oasis, confirmed they were investigating the matter and intended to send someone out to inspect the bottle to find out exactly what was in it.

The spokesman added: “This was a clearly distressing incident for Bethany. We have been in touch with her to apologise and are glad she is ok.

“We would like to thank the Chad for bringing this to our attention and want to reassure its readers we are taking this incident very seriously.

“We take great pride in the quality of our products and are now investigating exactly how something like this could have happened.”