FIREFIGHTERS were called out to two separate dwelling fires in the Ashfield area on New Year’s Day - both of which started in the properties’ kitchens.
The first blaze was at around 7.45am at a house on Sherwood Street in Kirkby, while the later incident was at around 4.15pm at a flat on Twitchell View in Sutton.
In both cases food that was being cooked had been left unattended and caught fire.
Smoke detectors alerted the householders to the accidental fires and so damage was limited to the kitchens and was minor.
Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle the fires and used fans to clear smoke from the properties.