Firefighters have urged parents to be vigilant after a three-year-old caused a house blaze by playing with a cooker ignitor.
Appliances from Ashfield and Mansfield were called out to the property at Brierley Cottages, Sutton, yesterday at about 3.20pm.
The infant had set fire to some laundry in a nearby basket and immediately alerted the adult in the house.
Luckily, the home was fitted with a working smoke alarm, which had been activated by the smoke.
When firemen arrived the fire had almost been put out with a jug of water. The brigade was at the house for about an hour.
One adult and three children had evacuated the property and were unhurt.
A spokesman for Ashfield fire station said: “Parents should be careful with ignition sources and should realise the importance of working smoke alarms.”