A SUTTON Lawn swan which was attacked by dogs on two separate occasions and suffered lead poisoning has died.
The bird, known as Cobby, was attacked by a Staffordshire bull terrier and a rottweiler within weeks. He also contracted lead poisoning after swallowing a fishing line, weight and hook.
A fisherman spotted Cobby was not moving last week and contacted Phil Else and Wendy Radford from Cedar Wildlife Sanctuary in Kirkby. He was taken there but died shortly afterwards.
Phil said: “He was at least 18 and the dog attacks, fishing line and high levels of lead in his body did not help.”
An Ashfield District Council spokesman said: “Following the recent unfortunate incidents of dogs attacking the park swans the council would like to remind all dog owners while walking their dogs close to the wild life pond area to keep their dogs under control and on a lead at all times.”