FIREFIGHTERS are still tackling a fire that broke out at an industrial estate in Kirkby on Friday night (23rd March) - but residents have been told that they can now go about their daily business as normal.
Fire crews were called out to an industrial estate on Park Lane after a fire involving a chemical started at around Friday teatime.
The M1 motorway was closed for around two-and-a-half hours because of the smoke being produced by the blaze and people living nearby - including residents in Annesley Woodhouse, Kirkby Woodhouse, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Selston and parts of Derbyshire - were advised to remain indoors, keeping doors and windows shut.
Firefighters were still tackling the fire tackling the fire at Saturday lunchtime and a cordon remains in place around the estate, but police have advised residents that they can now go about their daily business.
All roads that were closed as a precautionary measure have now been reopened but people are advised to avoid using any public footpaths near to the scene.
It is being reported that the chemical in the container, calcium oxide (also known as quicklime), overheated and caught fire, but firefighters could not use water to extinguish the flames and decided to let the fire burn itself out.