Police question man after Ashfield care home blaze

Stock picture.
Stock picture.

Police say they have spoken to a man after a fire at a care home in Ashfield.

Firefighters were called to Lawn Park Care Home on Lucknow Drive at 10.15pm on Sunday.

A spokesman for the home’s owners, Four Seasons Health Care (FSHC), said staff alerted the fire service after a blaze broke out in a resident’s room.

The spokesman added: “The fire was not believed to have been caused by any malfunction of electrical or other equipment.”

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire police said on Friday afternoon: “We’re investigating the circumstances surrounding this incident and officers have spoken to a man.

“Enquiries are ongoing and we can’t release any more information at this stage.”

Over almost two hours, crews from Ashfield and Mansfield battled the blaze and helped rescue six people from the building.

Five of them were treated at the scene by paramedics and one man was taken to hospital by road ambulance.

The FSHC spokesman also thanked the home’s staff for their response to the situation and firefighters for their efforts.