Pets at Home Mansfield is holding an event this weekend to raise awareness of the importance of picking up after your dog whilst out for walks.
On Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th September, colleagues at the store will be on hand advising customers on top tips to ensure a clean environment for everyone.
Dog poop is not only unpleasant, it can carry nasty parasites such as roundworm, which can infect other pets and even humans.
Store manager Andrew Thompson at Pets at Home said: “For many dogs and owners, the daily walks are the best part of the day and we want to help keep those walks enjoyable for everyone.
“We’re having our event to highlight the responsibilities of owning a dog, whether that’s talking about the right worming treatment or giving good advice for when you’re out and about with your pet.”
Picking up after your dog is more than just a social responsibility, it is a legal requirement under the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996 and owners are obliged to clean up after their pet when in public spaces or they risk being fined. Over 80% of councils provide dedicated dog waste bins.*
Tips on how to clean up after your dog responsibly:
· Don’t forget your poop bags and hand sanitizer when out and about together with your dog
· Dog poop can carry parasites including worms which can cause illness, in particular to children and pregnant women. Ask one of the specially trained store team about suitable worming treatments
· Dispose of poop bags in dedicated poop or litter bins. Never leave them for someone else to clean up
· Encourage other dog owners to act responsibly and clean up after their pet. Why not offer them one of your poop bags
· Train your dog to go the toilet in your garden before leaving the house. This will make it easier to clean up and dispose of