A Mansfield resident has spoken out after a large group of travellers set up camp at Bull Farm, leaving a trail of litter in their wake.
Police received numerous calls including one of an alleged assault when some 15 caravans pitched up at the Bull Farm surgery on the Millennium business estate several days ago.
It is believed they let the site late last night (Wednesday, July 20), and residents have been horrified by the level of waste and rubbish left behind.
The field adjacent to the surgery's car park sits strewn with bin bags, been cans and bottles, even old furniture and spent gas canisters.
The site was private property - usually outside the remit of local authorities to force travelers to move on, but after a complaint highlighted the misery and letter caused by inaction from the district council.
Peter Wooton from the area said this was only the most recent 'invasion' to take place on the site, and said the 'nuissance ' inflicted 'misery' on those in the area.
He added: "Yet again Bull Farm Park is invaded. Yet again the children of the area cannot use the skate board park or the park itself. Yet again residents live in fear of burglary, harrassment and in at least one incident last year, sexual harrassment of a female neighbour waiting at a bus stop where she was subjected to vile verbal abuse from a traveller apparently from the illegal encampment.
"Last year it cost the council, thousands of pounds to clear the mess they left behind when eventually they were forced to leave. But despite this, the council have done absolutely nothing to prevent a re-occurence.
"Instead of taking appropriate measures to secure the area, which when compared to the costs of clearing the site and removing the filth left behind, would have cost little, the council, your officers, sat back and did absolutely nothing to stop vehicles and caravans from entering the park.
"Now, once more, we are faced with a huge bill to clean the area after the gypsies have gone. This is totally unacceptable.
After sending a letter of complaint Mansfield District Council officials told Mr Wooton they would respond with action.
Chief Executive of Bev Smith said : "I have asked for immediate action to be taken with regards to the legal removal of the encampment and officers will be visiting the site today to commence legal proceedings. The area has multiple access points and there is a balance between allowing and enabling community access and access for service vehicles in order to maintain this community area and taking measures to prevent unauthorised access."