Neighbours rally after Warsop house fire

Fire in house at Lings View, Warsop.

Fire in house at Lings View, Warsop.

0
Have your say

THE kind-hearted neighbours of a Warsop family, whose home was destroyed in a fire, are appealing for donations from the community to help them get back on their feet.

Firefighters from Warsop, Edwinstowe and Mansfield were called to a property on Ling Crescent at around 3pm on Sunday afternoon after the fire broke out in a first floor bedroom.

The family are now believed to be staying with relatives - but their neighbours are rallying to help them get essential items such as clothes, toiletries and money.

Leading the campaign is Susan Lee who witnessed the fire first hand and is hoping Warsop residents will rally round.

“They have lost everything,” she said.

“What hasn’t been damaged by the fire has been damaged by the water.

“They need clothing and toiletries - they have got nothing.

“I have known them for 25 years and they have worked hard and bought the house. They have a lovely garden and house - they are lovely people.”

Describing what happened on Sunday, she said: “We were sat in the living room. My daughter asked if there was something on the cooker because we could smell it in the house. We saw it coming out of the roof.”

And she added: “As soon as I got there, the window exploded. That was the worst thing.”

Meanwhile, Vic King and his wife Sybil, who live on Ling View, also saw the fire and were not able to get onto their street at first.

Mr King said: “We’d been to Shirebrook but when we came back we couldn’t get up the road. We had to sit in the car.”

And Mrs King added: “It (the house) looks like it was gutted. It must have gone up like a rocket.”

The couple’s son Adrian was also at the house when the fire broke out.

He said: “I heard it - it must have been about 3pm. I heard the fire engines so I looked out of the window.

“At least no-one was hurt - they were there for about two hours.”

On Monday, a spokeswoman from Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue said that the blaze was caused by a cigarette and that there had been extensive fire damage to a bedroom and landing, while the rest of the property suffered smoke damage.

She also confirmed that the property did not have a working smoke alarm - and urged residents to make sure they have one and that it is tested regularly.

Anyone who wishes to donate items to the residents’ appeal can drop them off at Clumber Pets on Clumber Street in Warsop.