Murder charge dropped in case of man accused of killing Bulwell man James Brodie

THE case against a man who had been charged with the murder of Bulwell man James Brodie has been dropped.

Dean Betton, of Raleigh Street, Radford, was scheduled to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on Tuesday for a plea and case management hearing.

But the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) asked for the case to be discontinued.

James Brodie, who was 19, is believed to have gone missing following the murder of Ravenshead jeweller Marian Bates.

She had been shot dead during a robbery at the Time Centre, in Arnold, in September 2003.

Brodie has not made any contact with family or friends in more than nine years.

Betton had been convicted of conspiring to rob the jewellers and was sentenced to 13 years in prison.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “A decision has been made for the murder charge against Dean Betton to be dropped.

“It comes following discussions with the Crown Prosecution Service.”

A spokesman for the CPS said: “This case was charged on the basis that there was evidence that pointed to the defendant’s involvement and that there were reasonable grounds that further investigations would result in sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction.

“However, these further investigations have not produced the evidence required to continue the case, so there is no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. For this reason, the prosecution has offered no evidence, thereby discontinuing the case