DCSIMG

Skegby couple warn of dangers of Chinese lanterns

Ernest Sollis of Skegby had a burning Chinese lantern in their garden and want to warn people of the dangers.

Ernest Sollis of Skegby had a burning Chinese lantern in their garden and want to warn people of the dangers.

A Skegby couple are warning people about the potential dangers of Chinese lanterns after one fell in their garden on Saturday night.

Horrified householders Ernest and Hazel were at home at around 10pm when the lantern fell into their garden, narrowly missing the parasol and patio furniture before landing on the decking.

Luckily, the flames had already gone out before the lantern landed in their garden - but the pair say it could have been a different story if it had fallen on the fabric of the furniture.

Ernest said: “If the flight path had been slightly different, or there had been a little more wind, we could have lost expensive garden furniture, with the added risk of the whole deck catching fire and damaging the rear of the house.”

The incident comes just a week after a huge blaze broke out at a recycling plant in Smethwick near Birmingham, causing millions of pounds worth of damage. The fire has been blamed on a Chinese lantern.

Now Ernest and Hazel are calling for the lanterns to be banned because of the fire risk and the dangers they pose to livestock.

“There have been several reports over the years of animals ingesting the metal parts of the lantern and most recently the high value fire in Smethwick attributed to a Chinese lantern,” he said.

“It really is time these things were banned as dangerous.”

Chinese lanterns have become very popular at parties and weddings - but Ernest added that people could be unaware of the dangers they can pose.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page