A major milestone in the history of Nottinghamshire County Council is marked this week – as it’s officially 125 years since the date of the first council meeting.
The first meeting took place at the Shire Hall in Nottingham – now home to the Galleries of Justice - with 68 men taking up the role of county councillor after being elected earlier that year.
The chairman, the equivalent of the modern day Leader, was Lord Belper who kept the position until his death in 1914.
The milestone marks four weeks’ of online news and features to mark the County Council’s 125 year anniversary.
One of the first County Council services available in 1889 was weights and measures which is still going strong 125 years later.
The service involved checking the accuracy of the weighing scales in market places around the county.
In the first quarter of 1889 379 weights and measures were examined, 519 shops and public houses were visited, just 22 samples were forwarded to the Public Analyst for analysis.
Other statistics from 1889 include the council’s total expenditure was £43,529 compared to £590m each year in modern times.
Council Leader, Coun Alan Rhodes said: “The County Council has a proud record of achievement from delivering a multitude of services over the past 125 years. It has shaped the lives of millions of people, from the registration of births to shaping people’s educational achievements, to helping people get from A to B safely and enjoy the great outdoors in our country parks, cycle ways and rural rights of way.”
Information about the 125 year anniversary of Nottinghamshire County Council will include features on the County Council website, online photo slideshows and daily updates on Twitter @ #125Notts.