DCSIMG

Mansfield newsagent robbers made petrol bomb video on mobile phone

Ling Forest News police scene.

Ling Forest News police scene.

TWO youths who robbed a Mansfield newsagents have admitted throwing a petrol bomb after mobile phone footage was found by police.

Chad reported how the 17-year-olds pleaded guilty to a robbery at Ling Forest News, Oak Tree Lane Estate, on 5th February.

Mansfield Magistrates Court was told how owner Parmjeet Singh feared for his life during the attack where cigarettes and vodka were stolen.

The pair, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were due to be sentenced on Wednesday 27th March but faced new charges for attempted arson.

Police arrested them in connection with the robbery they seized mobile phone footage where a petrol bomb was thrown into the street.

Rosemary Wilde, prosecuting, told the court how one of the youths said: “I’m going to set a shed on fire, you get me?”

The other youth is heard saying: “Try hitting someone’s car.”

The petrol bomb, made using a bottle of Courvoisier brandy, is then launched into the distance and smashes on the pavement.

Ms Wilde added how messages posted on Facebook had also helped police link the youths to the robbery.

Pre-sentence reports had been completed by the youth offending team but the defendants’ solicitor Louisa Treharne said full psychiatric assessments were needed.

The district judge agreed and adjourned the case until 1st May.

After reports are prepared a judge or a bench of magistrates could still decide to send the case to Nottingham Crown Court.

The maximum sentence for single offence at Youth Court is two years.

Both defendants have previous convictions and were subject to youth offending orders when these offences took place.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page