Health inspectors were horrified to discover a live mouse among the food storage in an Indian restaurant, a court has been told.
The officers found the rodent, and severely squalid cooking conditions, at the Bengal Cottage on Warsop’s Burns Lane, before immediately closing it down.
They had been inspecting an adjacent building after a reported rodent infestation, and visited the restaurant to speak with the manager in September 2012.
But they were so appalled by the kitchen conditions, they served an emergency prohibition order, effectively closing the business.
Prosecuting for Mansfield District Council, Louise Ellis said it was ‘rare’ that such orders are served and was testament to the poor state of the premises.
Registered operator, Abu Remel, of Staniforth Road, Sheffield, was at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court for the hearing where he admitted six food hygiene charges.
This included dirt, food debris and mouse droppings throughout the kitchen.
Representing himself, Remel said although he was the owner, he said people who had been running the business had ‘let him down’, although he was aware of a rodent problem in the past.
The magistrates told him to pay £300 for each charge, £1,906 costs and a £30 victim surcharge.