DCSIMG

Kirkby dog owner’s drug alarm after pet dies

editorial image

editorial image

A HEARTBROKEN Kirkby man is urging people to be aware of the side effects of a drug used to treat arthritis in dogs after his beloved pet had to be put down shortly after taking it.

Phil Butler’s 11-year-old long-haired American Akita Fizz had begun showing the early signs of arthritis in her hind legs when he decided to take her to the vets.

Fizz was given an injection and tablets of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) called Loxicom , but a few days later, she began to go downhill and was off her food.

Phil, of Lindsay Avenue, said: “She collapsed on the back garden. She was violently shaking and her heart rate was really fast.

“She’d never had anything like that before. She was a really healthy dog.”

Fizz was rushed to an out of hours vet service but continued to deteriorate and had to be put down seven days after her initial visit to the vets. The total bill was nearly £2,000.

“She was crying out in pain so we knew it was the right thing to do,” said Phil (38).

An autopsy showed that Fizz had acute ulcerations of the small and large intestines and her kidneys were failing.

After researching Loxicom on the internet, Phil discovered many dogs have died in similar circumstances after taking NSAIDs.

“Every symptom Fizz had related to every story on the internet,” he said.

Phil also says the extreme side effects were never mentioned to him by the vet at Shannon Lodge Veterinary Surgery in Sutton who prescribed the Loxicom.

Though the autopsy results were not 100 per cent conclusive that the drug caused Fizz’s death, Phil believes they did because she was healthy before.

“I would like to see awareness raised if it saves even one dog,” he said. “I would never have that drug injected into my dog again ever.”

Shannon Lodge refused to give a comment when approached by Chad.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page