Hero Sutton pensioner saves dogs from fire

NMAC11-2004-1''Thompson Crescent resident, 66 year old Pam Walton, right,  rescued three dogs from a neighbours house during a house fire after next door neighbour Margaret Rothwell, left, raised the alarm.
NMAC11-2004-1''Thompson Crescent resident, 66 year old Pam Walton, right, rescued three dogs from a neighbours house during a house fire after next door neighbour Margaret Rothwell, left, raised the alarm.

SUTTON pensioner Pam Walton has been dubbed a hero after she braved thick smoke to rescue a number of pets from a house fire on her street.

The 66-year-old, animal lover leapt into action when a neighbour spotted smoke pouring out of the property on Thompson Crescent.

Quick-thinking Pam led to safety three dogs from the kitchen - which was filling with smoke from a tumble drier - after searching the house for any occupants.

Said Pam: “I went upstairs to see if the lad was there. I knew the dogs were in and there was also a parrot and a Cockatiel.”

“I passed (the oldest dog) to one of the neighbours and went back in for the other two.”

The two birds in the house were rescued by firefighters, while Pam was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene by paramedics.

Added Pam: “It was awful - I could hardly see but I was not scared at the time. I just wanted to know everybody was safe.

“I think I would have told someone not to go in but it is just natural instinct. The firemen said I did well but it was silly going in. I could not just stand and see animals suffer.

“I woke early on Wednesday morning about 2am and it dawned on me what I had done and what could have happened, but I would still have done it again. The local kids have named me Fireman Pam.”

Angie Skelton (46), who lives at the property with her family and her dogs Lucky, Molly and Red, was at work when the drama unfolded.

She said: “Bless her (Pam), it could have been a lot worse. Your pets are your family. She is just a hero on the street now. It seems our fire alarms were not working, so it makes you thankful we were all out.”

The fire, which was contained to the utility room where, was quickly put out by firefighters.