Forest Town woman jailed for assault

Have your say

A WOMAN wept as she was jailed for kicking another woman on the ground outside a pub over a year ago.

Gemma Butler (26) of Sulby Close, Forest Town, finally lost her liberty despite appealing against her sentence.

Nottingham Crown Court heard she pulled her victim by the hair from behind before attacking her.

The victim had just left the Ritz pub in Clipstone on New Year’s Day last year and gone to break up a fight outside. It was between a man she knew and Butler’s father.

She was left with a ‘very serious black eye,’ a cut to her nose and a swollen jaw, the court was told.

Her attacker went on to the Clipstone welfare club and boasted about what she had done, said Sarah Munro, prosecuting.

Butler was convicted of assault causing actual bodily harm following a trial by the magistrates last October and given the maximum six months sentence.

She remained free pending an appeal against the sentence. She claimed she could pay compensation and need not got to prison.

A judge sitting with two justices on Friday was told she had used alcohol as a crutch.

She had since gone to see her GP about the problem and got her self tested for liver function.

She had paid for two sessions of anger management and lost time from work to attend a five-hour course.

Her partner had £20,000 debts and was coming to the end of a suspended sentence himself, the court was told.

They had been together a long time and were worried about losing their property.

The court heard that Butler had also been convicted with another woman, Zoe Bullimore (25) of The Badger, Recreation Ground, Shirebrook, of common assault six weeks later at the Market Inn, Mansfield.

Butler had grabbed a woman by the hair in the toilets and pulled her down. Bullimore applied her foot firmly to the victim’s neck although it was not a kick, the court was told.

Recorder Andrew Lockhart, dealing with the Clipstone attack, told Butler: “I take the view you were in drink that night. The offence is so serious there can only be immediate custody.”

The sentence was 20 weeks. Out of mercy the six weeks sentence for the second offence would run concurrently.

Bullimore was given a 12 months’ community order, with a tagged home curfew from 7pm to 7am for three months.