AN extra £12m of budget cuts are being planned by Nottinghamshire County Council on top of more than £150m in reductions it is already trying to achieve.
The authority announced the new figure yesterday, blaming changes to Government grants and rising demand for social care services.
Plans to achieve the £12m needed will be considered by the Conservative-led council’s cabinet on Wednesday (9th November).
The proposals include closing Rainworth-based Sherwood Industries, a furniture factory employing around 35 disabled workers.
The centre is subsidised by the authority, which had already begun talks on its closure.
Other key measures on the table include;
-Cutting £1m by 2014 from the Connexions careers advice service
-Saving £889,000 by securing new electricity tariffs for street lighting and transferring the cost of a Government-imposed carbon emissions levy to schools
-Bringing forward planned cuts in street lighting hours and changing the highways team to save £521,000 by 2014
-Spending £457,000 less by 2014 by restructuring the assistant chief executive’s team, which provides a range of support services at the council
The authority is also listing 382 jobs today which may be cut, as part of an overall estimate of 2,500 post cuts announced last year.
Said Councillor Reg Adair, cabinet member for finance and property: “Although we decided how to make the majority of the savings required for the next two years last year, these new proposals aim to help bridge the gap which has emerged since last year’s budget.
“We continue to protect front line services as much as possible by being creative and coming up with proposals which make the best use of our resources.”
On Wednesday the cabinet will also consider a proposed £265m spending over three years, including £30m for the 2012 to 2013 phase of a £100m school refurbishment programme, plus £12.65m on creating 160 extra care housing places for older people across Nottinghamshire.
Labour County Councillor Chris Winterton, who represents Mansfield South, criticised the extra budget cuts, saying he was ‘disgusted’ by the plans.
“We’ll have nothing left in Mansfield provided by the county council soon.” he said.
-For more on this story see next Wednesday’s edition of Chad (9th November).
-What do you think? Post your views on the proposals below.