COUNCIL chiefs have reassured people that work is being done to monitor signs of blue-green algae at King’s Mill Reservoir.
Experts at the authority say they have been monitoring the situation for the past month and that warning signs were put up.
The reassurance comes following concerns from the public about blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, which can be toxic to wildlife and humans if they come into contact with it.
A spokesman said: “The council has been sampling the water at King’s Mill Reservoir since 2nd September when a blue-green sheen was seen on the lake.
“As a preventative measure, prior to receiving analytical results, warning signs were erected across the site on the 2nd September warning users of the risks from coming into contact with the water.
“Likewise both the sailing club and the activity centre were notified to prevent any further submersive activities from taking place.
“Initial sampling results indicated elevated levels of blue green algae. It was agreed that the signs would remain on-site until two consecutive weeks’ samples showed blue-green algae levels below World Health Organisation threshold levels.
“The second clear week’s sample was received this morning (Monday) and the council will be removing the signs during this week.”
Kirkby environmentalist Wendy Radford, who runs Cedar Wildlife Sanctuary in Kirkby, said she was called to the site because there was a swan covered in algae. She had to wade through the water to rescue the bird.
“The stench is unbelievable,” she said. “When I came out, there were leeches stuck on my legs.”
She washed the swan and treated the wounds.