DCSIMG

Mansfield woman repeatedly denies attacking her partner during murder trial

Ladybrook Place, where Emiel Blankert lived with Michelle Swift

Ladybrook Place, where Emiel Blankert lived with Michelle Swift

A Mansfield woman continually denied she was involved in the vicious assault that led to her partner’s death during her trial at Nottingham Crown Court today, Friday 27th June.

Michelle Swift spent more than five hours in the witness box answering questions from both the her defence barrister and the prosecution over the death of Emiel Blankert last year.

Mr Blankert (48) sustained serious injuries in December which led to his bowel being perforated. He died in King’s Mill Hospital several days later.

The crown claims Miss Swift (49) was responsible for delivering the blows in their Ladybrook Place flat, a claim she strenuously denies.

The crown says CCTV footage taken from cameras outside of their flat showed Mr Blankert enter the flat on the morning of 9th December without injury, and only emerging once, hours later, with a swollen face. They argue the injuries were inflicted the same time as the trauma to his midriff.

Quizzed by prosecutor Timothy Spencer QC, she regularly burst into tears and continually denied she had any involvement.

At one point she blurted out: “I have had enough, I have had six months of hell, it’s too much.

“I do not know what happened to him.

“It’s evil what you are doing to me.”

Towards the end of the cross examination, Mr Spencer said: “This could be your last chance to explain how those injuries are caused.

“Don’t you think you owe it to Emiel to tell us what happened? Don’t you think you owe it his family an explanation as to what caused him to die? It’s your last chance.”

She responded by saying: “I do not know what happened to him.”

The trial continues.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page