Kirkby man jailed over threat to kill ex-partner

A Kirkby man who was banned from contacting his ex-partner has been jailed for 21 months for harassing her and threatening to kill her.

It was the second time Jonathan Martin (42), of Burton Rise, was in breach of a restraining order, Nottingham Crown Court was told.

He told the victim: “I’m in control, not you. I will kill you, chop you up and bury you.”

On 28th March he was banned for five years from contacting her but the very same day began to harass her, said Paul Stimson, prosecuting on Friday.

Martin was then given a nine months suspended prison sentence and a day later began sending her text messages.

“The couple had been in a relationship since 2005 which was characterised by violence,”said Mr Stimson.

During July, Martin was phoning her mobile and landline and leaving voicemails, until he was arrested on 22nd July and held in custody. He pleaded guilty to breach of the restraining order and failing to comply with the suspended sentence.

His barrister Edina Leonard said the couple had got back together despite the restraining order, but by 8th June she was no longer happy with the situation.

Collier was hardworking and had set up his own business, which was successful until the recession. He sold his home to shore up the business and began drinking more after losing both parents within three months. The threat to kill was a ‘drunken, empty threat’.

Recorder Michael Swain said it was a ‘most flagrant’ breach. and must have been ‘extremely disturbing’ for the victim.