A spate of vehicle crime and burglary in Selston has been brought to a stop after the number of police officers in the area was increased.
Over the last couple of weeks a number of arrests have been made and two people of the most wanted burglars have been charged with crimes.
David Rowe (24), of Alexander Avenue, Selston, has been charged with two counts of burglary dwelling and two counts of attempted burglary with intent to steal in Selston, as well as four counts of theft from a motor vehicle and one count of aggravated vehicle taking.
He was remanded in custody to appear at court.
A 17-year-old male youth has been charged with two counts of dwelling burglary and two counts of attempted burglary with intent to steal in Selston, as well as four counts of theft from a motor vehicle and one count of aggravated vehicle taking.
Ashfield South inspector Nick Butler said: “We need to have a workforce that can be there to respond whenever there is an increase in crime.
“Arriving quickly at the scene of a crime can increase the likelihood of catching those responsible.
“After a recent increase in offences in Selston, a number of response officers have been based there, and we have had a number of arrests.”
He added: “Enquiries are ongoing and we will be working with local people to help reassure and prevent criminals from targeting people’s personal property, namely their homes and vehicles.”
Selston parish, district and county councillor Gail Turner said she was ‘pleased’ that extra resources had been put into Selston to tackle the crime spree.
“It’s been a big problem, lots of people have been burgled,” she said.
“It’s thousands of pounds of possessions belonging to people of this area that have been stolen.”
Coun Sam Wilson, chair of Selston Parish Council, said the parish council fully supports the police moving the response team to Selston.
“It now means we have 24 hour, seven day cover for the rurals,” he said.
“The increased police presence has been noticed - we have had a lot of positive comments.”
The extra police officers have also been cracking down on motoring offences in the area.
On Wednesday 13th November they arrested two drivers for drink driving, 11 were issued with summonses for offences of speeding, seat belt not worn and using a mobile phone whilst driving and five were stopped for having no vehicle insurance, with their vehicles seized by police.