Anti-freeze link to spate of cat deaths at Bilsthorpe

Emma Davenport, left, and Alison Price, who have both lost cats to poisoning in Bilsthorpe, pictured with Tia, one of Emma's surviving cats.
Emma Davenport, left, and Alison Price, who have both lost cats to poisoning in Bilsthorpe, pictured with Tia, one of Emma's surviving cats.

CAT owners in Bilsthorpe are being warned about a possible ‘anti-freeze poisoner’ after six cats have died in the area during the past few weeks.

Emma Davenport, of OakRise, has lost two of her beloved cats and another is seriously ill.

Her friend Allison Price has also lost a cat in identical circumstances.

A total of six cats have died due to suspected poisoning, one cat is missing and another is seriously ill.

The police and RSPCA are investigating the incidents and are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.

Emma is hoping the culprit can be caught.

She said: “The first time my cat was just vomiting one day and having seizures and dead from kidney failure the day after.

“The other cat she appeared to be drunk and staggering with large pupils. I rushed her straight to the vet where she was put on a drip but died from kidney failure too.

“It seems to be happening in the Oak Rise and Lansbury Road area.

“Usually owners don’t realise their pet is unwell until its too late and as in my case I have a £300 vet bill and two dead cats.”

Homeowners are also being asked to check their garden sheds and garages to ensure anti-freeze is not left open.

Anyone who sees anything suspicious can call police on 101 and RSPCA on 03001234 999.

A spokesman from the RSPCA said cats can be attracted to the taste of anti-freeze.

She added: “Unfortunately, anti-freeze is tasty to cats, but it can cause them serious illness and can even kill.”

Symptoms include the cat appearing intoxicated, stumbling, lack of coordination, dizziness, vomiting, excessive thirst, excessive urination, seizures and rapid breathing.

Death can occur within 48 hours of ingestion. Cats displaying symptoms should be taken to the vets for treatment immediately.