Care home plans given thumps up by Mansfield District Council

0
Have your say

PLANS to create more than 50 jobs by transforming a derelict factory site into a care home for the elderly have been given the green light.

The old Remploy factory on the corner of Mansfield’s Sutton Road and Botany Avenue will be bulldozed to make way for the 64-bedroom, three-storey home.

The L-shaped construction will include spaces for 16 cars and landscaped gardens.

There will also be opportunities for employment with 31 full-time jobs and 22 part-time jobs created.

The decision to give the green light was taken at last Tuesday’s planning meeting at Mansfield District Council.

Few objections were raised, with planning officer John Krawczyk saying: “The development proposed would enhance the existing site by providing a modern landmark building in a prominent location, would provide an appropriate living environment for future residents and would not cause harm to the residential amenities presently enjoyed by the occupiers of adjacent dwelling houses.”

Committee members voted unanimously in favour of the application.

Coun Martin Wright said: “It’s always sad to see an establishment like Remploy cease to exist in Mansfield, and now we are left with a derelict site.

“Let’s have this care home built, a town like Mansfield can’t afford to even think about turning proposals like this down.”

Coun Derek Evans said: “We have an aging population and as it goes on there will be a great demand for facilities like this.

“It will help tidy up an eyesore and with the creation of new jobs, I support it 101 per cent.”

The Remploy factory had employed 61 disabled people before it closed in 2008 as part of a national programme to get more disabled people into mainstream employment.

Since then the building has stood idle, despite an attempt in 2009 to pull it down and build a storage facility – a move rejected by planners who said it would have a detrimental effect on the character and appearance of the surrounding area.

Left empty, it has been a magnet for vandals since the closure.

Speaking on behalf of the applicant, Ideal Care Homes, planning manager Phil Brock explained that the company has 32 operating homes nationwide and caters for general residents as well as those suffering from dementia.

He said that it is hoped that the home would be open within the next 12 months.