Bulwell teens deny charges

l

l

0
Have your say

Two teenagers are to stand trial at Nottingham Crown Court after violence, alleged to be racially motivated, broke out in Bulwell.

Trouble erupted on Highbury Road, close to the town centre, on Tuesday 26th August last year, the court was told.

Shaun Johnson (18), of Gabrielle Close, Bulwell, and a 17-year-old youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were arrested.

Appearing before Judge Jeremy Lea, Johnson pleaded not guilty to four charges, while the 17-year-old pleaded not guilty to three charges.

Johnson is accused of assaulting a woman by beating her and of having an offensive weapon. The 17-year-old is accused of a racially aggravated assault by beating.

Both also deny two instances of using racially aggravated, threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour likely to lead to violence.

The court was told that the trial will take place during the week beginning Monday 9th February.

Of eight witnesses, four have requested to give their evidence behind screens, while two have requested interpreters.

Johnson and the 17-year-old were remanded on bail on condition that they do not contact, or go within 100 metres of, certain named witnesses.